Monday 29 September 2014

Caramel Apple Pancakes


I am a firm believer just because I am living frugally; it doesn't mean that I can’t have a bit of decadence from time to time.  I don’t often have desserts, but when I do often apples or lemons feature.  One of favourite desserts involving apples is Tarte Tatin.  I had brought 2 Kilos of apples cheap last weekend and was preparing them for a crumble to freeze.  I had planned to have soup for tea last night as I had my main meal of Chili con carne at Midday.  The apples were calling out Apple Tarte Tatin, but I had no puff pastry to hand and did not feel like making pastry.  (I need to watch my fat intake!) Oh well I thought I will do an apple pancake with some of the stewed apples.  But that thought of gooey caramel wouldn't leave me.
I wonder I thought, do the apples the same way for the tart, and pour some pancake batter over.  Success one of the scummiest desserts ever!

Caramel Apple Pancakes

This is a method more than a recipe.  Serves 2.

Slice one apple and fry it in butter gently.


When starting to brown add some raisins and walnuts (opt).  Turn the heat down and add some brown sugar.

While the apples were frying make some batter from 1 cup (4oz or 125gm) s/r flour, 1 egg and enough milk to make a thickish batter.


Pour batter over apples and continue to cook till bubbles appear.  At this pont I had a problem as I tried to turn the pancake over it fell apart.  But I went with it as I thought it looked rustic.


Cook till it is puffed up and golden underneath.  Next time I might put the pancake in the oven to finish off.  But I like the look of it as it looked like real comfort food and it is quicker this way.


I treated myself to a tablespoon of whipped cream and enjoyed.  The rest was great for breakfast this morning.

The weather is disgusting today, spoilt by last week’s balmy spring days.  So, no gardening but a chance to get on with some crochet!  Maybe I should take a leaf out of my cat’s book!  Well it is an excuse not to make the bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment